One of 5 siblings of Arthur Quiller-Couch, writer and critic (1863 – 1944),. She was herself an English editor, compiler and children’s writer. Lived in Hampstead with her sister Lilian, also a writer, with whom she produced some joint works.
Managing director of publishers Chapman & Hall [1902-30], and father of Alec and Evelyn Waugh. The family lived at 11 Hillfield Road (1878 – 1907), and at 145 North End Road (1908 – 1933),. The motto on his grave reads ‘And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life’.
Eldest of 3 sisters immortalised in pictures by Sargent, Augustus John and others. Her TB caused the Hammersley family to seek the healthy air of Hampstead. They lived at Admiral’s House from 1902 and were noted for their literary/artistic salon.
Author of popular children’s book, Chronicles of the Schoenberg-Cotta Family (1862),. Her house in Oak Hill Way bears her plaque.