Songwriter and publisher. Wrote the lyrics of some of Gracie Fields’ hits. Lived 40 years at 13 Elsworthy Road
Actor and music-hall comedian. His films included The Stars Looked Down. Buried with his wife, Dorothy (died 1948),. The motto on their gravestone is the mysterious ‘Buckling and Skung’.
Cartoonist. With Punch from 1911 and illustrated Both Sides of the Microphone for Radio Times from 1928. His studio was the attic of 1 Holly Place (1911-1935),. He married Marjorie Dawson Scott, daughter of the founder of the PEN Club, as his second wife. He was killed in a civil air crash, July 1935.
Artist, Slade professor (1930-48),. Member of New English Art Club and London Group. ‘His drawings and prints beautifully precise and reasonable statements of fact’ ‘DNB’.
Artist and illustrator. Created the popular Johnny Crow books for children and illustrated many nursery rhyme books. He married Sybil (1890-1957), daughter of Stopford Brooke. Their son Henry was MP for Hampstead and Home Secretary, and they moved to 28 Hollycroft Avenue in 1934 to be near him. An exhibition ‘Leslie Brooke and Johny Crow’was held…
Russian Opera singer. Studied singing at St Petersberg Conservatory (1914-19),. Debuted was Margarita in Faust Gunod (1918), in Mariinsky Theatre. Worked in the theatre until 1922, when she moved abroad. Made some recordings (1948-1949),. Died at 12 Strathray Gardens.
Mary Shepard was the daughter of E H Shepard, the illustrator of the ‘Winnie the Pooh’ books and ‘The Wind in the Willows’. Mary was also an artist and, as the result of a chance encounter with Pamela Travers, the author of ‘Mary Poppins’, she became the illustrator of the ‘Mary Poppins’ books. Personal…
Barrister. Married Sylvia (1866-1910), second daughter of George du Maurier. Their 3 eldest sons met J M Barrie in Hyde Park in 1897, and inspired his Peter Pan (1903). When their parents died tragically young, Barrie became the guardian of all 5 boys. Their story has been told in a biography and dramatised for television…
RBA. Landscape painter and illustrator, exhibited at RA (1874-84),. He was Art Editor of Strand Magazine (1891-1910),. He died at 1 Cannon Place. His wife Emily died 1929.
FRAM. Musician. Eldest son of John Curwen, inventor of the Tonic Sol-Fa system. Editor of Musical Herald from 1866.
Daughter of Mary Temple Moore (writer and illustrator), and Temple Lushingtom Moore (church architect and artist),. Lived in Church Row all her life.
Sculptor and painter, exhibited at RA. Sculpture included Armada Memorial on Plymouth Hoe and busts of George V, Walter Besant (C 064),. He painted a fresco for St Peter’s Belsize Park.
3rd Baronet, FRAS. Painter. Grave bears the family crest and motto: ‘Where virtue lys, love never dys’.
Daughter of Priestley Birch. Married (1893), Cecil Sharp the folk music champion. Their last home was at 4 Maresfield Gardens which bears his plaque. He died in 1924 and was cremated at Golders Green.
Actor manager, who managed Wyndham’s Theatre (1910-25),. Younger son of George du Maurier. Gerald was born in Church Row and inherited his father’s love of Hampstead. From 1916 until his death he lived at Cannon Hall where his daughter, the novelist Daphne, grew up (she is buried in Cornwall),.
Stage and film actor. Born in Vienna, he was the son of Adolph Waohlbruck, a famous clown. Walbrook abandoned a successful stage career in Germany because of the Nazi regime and settled in England as a refugee (1936). He helped many of his countrymen to escape from Europe. His first London stage production was Design…
Actor-manager. Manager of the Court Theatre (from 1875),, the St James (from 1879),, and he opened and managed the Garrick Theatre (1889-94),. He ‘helped to mould and develop the modern English acting tradition’ ‘DNB’.
Sculptor, from a family of sculptors who lived at Treherne House, West End. His father, Robert (1764 -1843),, is commeorated in the church but buried at Kensal Green.Shelley, writing about Leigh Hunt, says that his studio ‘no doubt. Is still adorned with many a cast by Shout’.
Painter and etcher. Born The Hague, exhibited frequently in Britain, as did his two brothers. He and his local artist friends Ernest Fridlander (1870-1960), and Beatrix Martin (1876-1964), are commemorated in a series of linked plaques.
Ellen and her sister Constance (1844 – 1929),, nieces of Sir Rowland Hill, lived for many years at 110 Frognal and previously with their father at 27 Thurlow Road. Ellen was a portrait painter, who also ran a servants’ home at No 1 New End Square. Constance was a writer.
Water colourist, stained glass designer and maker. For 16 years Churchwarden of the parish church and a liberal benefactor. The nave and transept windows in the church were designed by him and made by his firm, Clayton and Bell. He also designed a new font in 1885 and a new nave ceiling.
Landscape and stained glass artist [? son of Alfred Bell]
A notable collector of engravings, musical autographs and portraits, and of bookplates. He is also know for his Annals of Tennis (1878), – ‘a work of minute and exhaustive research’ ‘DNB’. His wife, Florence (1843-1922), was a composer and conductor.
Professor of Music, a pious and respected inhabitant of this village’.
Artist. Associate of Royal Water Colour Society