Alfred Bell (1832 – 1895)
Flower Festival 2012 :
Arranged by Lesley Dungey in memory of Alfred Bell
A stained glass designer and maker who was a “liberal benefactor” and for 16 years a Churchwarden at Hampstead Parish Church. Nearly all the windows in the Church were made by his firm, Clayton and Bell, and given by him in 1878. Bell also designed a new font in 1885 and a new nave ceiling.
In 1855 John Clayton and Alfred Bell, both young designers working with Gothic Revival architects in the provision of stained glass for new churches and the restoration of old, formed their own partnership. In 1861 they started to manufacture their own glass. With the excellence of their designs and their use of high quality glass they enjoyed considerable success – their windows may be found all over England, notably the West window of King’s College Chapel, Cambridge (1878), as well as in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the United States of America.
This page was last updated on July 18th, 2012.